How To: How To Research An Unknown Online Retailer
- Do they have a toll free customer service number and published hours of operation?
- Do they take credit cards? It is no guarantee of quality if they
do, but it is one step up. I think you should generally avoid any place
that only takes Western Union money transfers.
- Do they have a security/hacker prevention or testing certificate?
- Does the checkout process use an encrypted HTTPS page?
- Are the company Privacy and About pages blank, or do they look like
they are from a default template for an online shopping cart that was
just set up the day before?
- Search Google for the store name and words like "scam" and
"customer service." It is not a good thing if all the entries are for
people asking if a site is a scam in Yahoo Answers.