Buscar en Mind w/o Soul

miércoles, enero 23, 2008

HOWTO: ser un buen director de proyecto

Pasos útiles para gestionar un equipo, aprendidos de la experiencia.

How Do I Become an IT/IS Manager?
  1. Customer priorities, as set by my group manager. It doesn't matter
    what the clients who request work from my manager think their
    priorities are; it matters only what my manager knows the priorities are. He sees things from a much larger perspective than any individual client.
  2. Intra-team communications. We have a weekly meeting, which usually
    only takes about 15 minutes, so that each of us is aware of what the
    others are working on. While this information is usually not
    immediately useful, it often becomes so after a few weeks have passed.
    An example just today is a query I'd written that pertained directly to
    what two of my employees were working on.
  3. Conflicts with regular employees. It doesn't matter how many angels
    surround you and your team, there will always be at least one asshole.
    Watch out for this person (male or female, it can be either or both)
    and try to figure out how best to address his or her needs without
    upsetting the other priorities set for your team.
  4. Excess of meetings. My own advice: dial in to every meeting to
    which you're invited (assuming the meetings aren't in-person-- if they
    are, you're just screwed). Give the meeting about 20% of your attention
    and continue working on something else with the other 80% (with the
    phone muted, of course). If your name comes up, reverse those
    proportions immediately, then switch back once the conversation's done
    with you. I'm not saying to only give 20% of your energy to any given
    effort. I'm only suggesting that in most meetings, you can listen with
    20% of your attention while continuing to get measurable work done with
    the other 80%. There have been many meetings in which I never did need
    to switch gears at all, for that matter.
  5. I work for an intelligent manager (the opposite of a PHB) who has a
    very clear and concise vision toward which he wants our entire group
    (which comprises much more than my contract team) to work. As a result,
    particularly since he is an attendee at my weekly meetings, we are
    slowly but surely able to aim toward that goal.

No hay comentarios: