Buscar en Mind w/o Soul

domingo, junio 17, 2007

You CAN Put Your Keyboard in the Dishwasher

'nuff said.



You CAN Put Your Keyboard in the Dishwasher

Last Monday, I spilled beer on my keyboard and received the Dishwasher advice from two very tech-savvy people.

Today, I can report that not only will the keyboard come out clean, but it will probably work once it dries completely. Every key on the keyboard works and feels just right - the Caps Lock light even works! This ‘hack’ is not for the weakhearted, and I would probably avoid putting a $100+ keyboard in the dishwasher. But if you don’t have any other options, it’s a pretty good bet.

Exactly what I did:

  • disconnected my USB keyboard from my computer
  • dumped out the spilled beverage
  • placed keyboard in dishwasher (normal cycle)
  • added soap to the reservoir (I used Electrasol)
  • closed the dishwasher and turned it on
  • I was advised to AVOID USING the heated dry cycle - 20 minutes too late
  • removed keyboard from dishwasher once the cycle was complete
  • popped ALL the keys off to allow the keyboard to completely dry (either draw, write down where the keys go, or take a picture so you can put ‘em all back in the right place)
  • leaned my keyboard vertically against a wall and allowed it to dry for 5 days
  • replaced all the keys, plugged the keyboard back in and tested every key to make sure it worked

No hay comentarios: